Wednesday, October 19, 2022

The Slavery Which Glorifies

 "Ye are not your own. For ye are bought with a price; therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's." 1 Corinthians 6: 19, 20.

1 Corinthians 6: 19, 20
       This is the only note of triumph I have ever heard sounded over the condition of a slave. Is it not a marvelous note? ''Ye are not your own; ye are bought with a price; ye are the property of another; therefore glorify your master in your body and in your spirit." Can slavery glorify either a servant or his master! Can it glorify the body; does it not bring weariness! Can it glorify the spirit; does it not bring depression! How could Paul thus speak of a slave! Because there is one kind of slavery which does glorify both the servant and the master; it is love. The heart is never glorified till it gets an owner. Before that time body and spirit are very listless. But when the owner comes, when love comes, then body and spirit leap up together; the eye sparkles; the cheek mantles; the feet bound; the laugh rings; the pulse beats quicker; the yoke becomes easy, and the burden light. There is no homage to the master of a heart like the glory of that heart. When it brightens at his presence, when it leaps at his approach, he is glorified. He would not feel his ownership complete if it did not bring this glory, for the proof of my mastery over your heart is the gleam and glitter of its chain.
       I thank Thee, O Lord, for this one slavery -  the bondage of my heart. It is the charter of my glory. All the beauty of my heart lies in its chain; it sparkles most where it is bound. Never let there come to me an emancipation of the heart. I would have freedom in all else. Let the hands be free, let the mind be free, let the will be free; but let the heart ever have its chain. Thou whose name is Love, let me ever be Thy bondsman. I would not be the bondsman of any power but Thee. There are things in which I should always like to be independent. I should not like my body to be fettered; I should not wish my reason to be bound. But I should always covet Thy chain - Love's chain. I should not wish the independence of the heart. I should not like to have nobody to care for. I should not desire my affections to escape from the cage and be free. Love, Divine Love, Im- mortal Love, be Thou the master of my soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment