Thursday, October 20, 2022

The Relation of Theism to Christianity

 "Every man therefore that hath heard and hath learned of the Father, 
cometh unto me." John 6: 45.

       The idea is that if a man believe in a personal God he ought, if he would be logical, to accept Christianity. Every man that has learned of the Father should, in strict reason, come to the Son also. There are men who call themselves Deists. They say, ''Have we not a God of nature - a God who meets the eye; why supplement that faith by a mystery?" Jesus answers "to clear away a mystery - the silence of this God of nature." The God of nature meets the eye; why does not He also meet the ear? Nature, you say, teaches you that there is a Father. It is well; but why does not that Father speak? I can understand one losing sight of a heavenly Father; but I cannot understand one having Him in sight and yet believing in His silence. Can you imagine any father sitting beside his little boy from morn to eve and never uttering a word? He could not; he would be bound to speak. It would be quite immaterial whether he said anything new. Love rarely does say anything new; but it delights to repeat its old things. It is not the revelation that is important; it is the revealing, the breaking of the silence, the communion of soul with soul.
       And so, my Father, is it with Thee. I do not know whether in the voice of Jesus Thou hast told me any new secret about the universe. It is Thy voice itself that breaks the great secret. I have received little light on old mysteries. Thou hast told me nothing new about the origin of life. Thou hast left unsolved the enigmas of space and time. But Thou hast spoken. Thou hast said, "I am here; " that is all; but that is heaven. I care not so much what Thou sayest as that I should hear Thy voice. The revelation I want from Thee is the revealing of Thy love. I care not though it should only tell the old, old story. I reck not though it should unbar no secret, though it should unclasp no mystery. Only let it speak - speak truisms, speak platitudes, speak repetitions. Only let it sound a note in the silence - a note which shall say, " I am with you, I remember you, I love you." Its reiterations will be the dearest message of all; its repetitions will be the sweetest message of all; its old, old story will be the gladdest message of all. My love will never weary of hearing the refrain of Thine; therefore, even though nature had told me all, I should still welcome the voice of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment