Thursday, September 8, 2022

The Conguity Between Prayer and It's Answer

"What man is there of you whom, if his son ask bread, he will give him a stone?" Matthew 7: 9.

       My brother, did you never ask bread in the hope of getting a stone? Did you never say ''It is a very profitable thing to pray for the grace of Christ; it brings worldly riches"? And then, when in answer to your prayer for bread the stone has not come, have you never said something like this: "What is the use of being a Christian? Where is the profit of my prayers? I have never ceased morning nor evening to ask for the Spirit of Christ. In darkness and at dawn I have not forgotten to bend the knee. From the burden of each day I have ever stolen some stray moments for my Father. What have I gained by it? Nothing. My neighbor across the street never prays; and year by year he is adding to his earthly store. But I have no increase in the golden stream. The purple and the fine linen come not, spite of my prayers for grace. The ships are not more laden with my merchandise. The orders are not more frequent at my counting-house. The visitors are not more fashionable at my dwelling. I might as well be a Pagan for all that I have gained. 'I have washed my hands in innocency, and cleansed my heart in vain.' "
       Be still, my soul; thou hast searched the wrong casket for thy gem. Didst thou think that thy Father was going to mock thee - to send thee a trinket instead of a jewel! Didst thou not ask a ring - an adoption ring - the right to say "my Father"! Would it be an answer to that prayer if He should start a charitable subscription for thee! Wouldst thou be fed by charity when thou art a king's son! Thou hast asked admission into His audience chamber; murmurest thou that He brings thee not into the servants' hall! Thou has asked communion with Himself; complainest thou that He sends not His vassals to bear His message! Thou hast asked to see Him face to face; weepest thou that He has refused to thee a veil! I have read that Mary came to seek the dead body of Jesus, and found instead a living Lord; and I can understand her glad surprise. But wouldst thou, my soul, reverse the picture; wouldst thou supplicate for a living Lord, and mourn because there came not a lifeless body! Men say thy sin is pride; nay, it is humility. Thou art not ambitious enough, not soaring enough. Thine expectation is less than thine asking. Thy hope is too modest; thine aim is too low. Thou art made for the ladder of angels, and thou art content with the pillow of stone; lift up thine eyes, O my soul! Matheson

No comments:

Post a Comment